Jump to content

Roy B

Stoxnet Supporter
  • Joined

  • Last visited

1 Follower

About Roy B

Profile Information

  • Location
    Blackpool
  • Association with F1
    Fan since 1976. Ex 314 & 324(1981/84)

Recent Profile Visitors

10,545 profile views
  1. Cheers Alan. Thankfully there's still a fair few places out there with a window to the past. I found the site of an infectious diseases hospital dating from the 1700's up on the moors a few days ago. Just a few ruins on the surface but with an underground mortuary that was still solid. They built 'em to last in those days 👍
  2. Continued from above: We now arrive at the second ventilation shaft and meet a truly bizarre and weird creation the like of which wouldn’t be out of place in a horror film. It is a huge stack of rubbish that has been thrown down the vent for near on 60yrs. It has formed a solid column from floor to roof and looks like a giant vac bag. The lower levels of it contain items no longer manufactured. There’s part of the back lights of a caravan with the old triangular reflectors, a Sunlight washing up liquid bottle, a Sunblest bread tray etc, etc. The top of the vent has been
  3. Continued from above: Around refuge 15 is a particular highlight. The back wall of the refuge looks like an alien or a ghostly face. A rock pool with the appearance of whipped cream covers the floor. Close by also at ground level is the beginning of a treacle and custard formation. The unusual colour is caused by water coming through the roof and picking up soot and iron particles from the support rings. If left undisturbed it would eventually develop into a pillar reaching to the roof. Moving on from these magnificent displays we come to a
  4. Continued from above: The view inside As we move further into the tunnel we come to a section where water has been dripping through the brickwork. Over the last 60-70yrs the minerals in the rock and the cement have produced some wonderful calthermic formations. The side of the tunnel is covered with white, yellow and black calcite that is hard as iron. Continues below:
  5. Continued from above: As it used to be The scene today The tunnel portal soon comes into view and we can very carefully walk onto the parapet high above the cutting. A number of coping stones have fallen down below so it’s a case of making sure you don’t do the same! As we make our way down the 70ft high embankment we enter the land that time forgot apart from the remains of an early 1980’s Ford Fiesta engine and suspension. As we get nearer to the portal an exposed part of the tunnel drainage appears. Accessed via catchpits an ov
  6. Continued from above: Before we make our way to the tunnel here’s some brief background info to the railway network around the area: In 1846 the Midland Railway (MR) opened a line along the Trent valley, between Nottingham and Lincoln. The stations at Carlton and Burton Joyce are still in use, although the original buildings have gone. MR built its Leen Valley line between Nottingham and Mansfield in 1849. The station at Linby closed in 1964 and was demolished soon afterwards. The station site at Newstead is still in use, but the original buildings have gone. The
  7. Continued from above: Let’s all make our way now to the East Midlands. We’ll meet up at the Gedling Country Park, which is five miles north-east of the city of Nottingham. The park is on the site of the former Gedling Colliery which shut down in 1991. In a while we’ll head for the park’s outer boundary where we’ll find the abandoned Mapperley Tunnel. Inside here is a sight that has to be seen to be believed. Before that delight though we’ll have a look at the history of both the site, and the railway that ran alongside. The story of mining in Gedling starts in the 17
  8. Hi there folks, Whilst the long term future of Birmingham Wheels remains uncertain it was good to see Brisca racing back there. It was a very welcome return on October 17th 2020 for the F2’s. One change was in the car park where parts of it now form a drift track. With assistance from the Mendips Raceway entries were capped at 40 cars owing to the large number of domestic formulas scheduled to appear. The meeting was advertised as a 2pm start, then when everyone was assembled ready it was announced it was now going to be a 3pm start! The first race was
  9. What a great interview! Joff's a top lad, and i'm so pleased to see him back 👍
  10. Continued from above: Life in the mill Moscow Mill workers In the early 1800’s, hundreds of workers would stream through the doors of Moscow Mill into the clattering atmosphere of what is now the Weavers Court. Inside the mill The large spinning mill was established in 1824-5 by Benjamin and Robert Walmsley of Rough Hey. The loomshop was added in 1828, and the entire factory was lit by gas. The factory was damaged by fire in 1831 and the upper part of the building, comprising four stories and an attic was entirely destroye
  11. Continued from above: Church & Oswaldtwistle station Oswaldtwistle was on the 1844-1859 East Lancashire Railway network which became amalgamated into the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway. The station in the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway days As it is today. The station buildings having been demolished. Under BR ownership Stanhill / Knuzden WW2 POW Camp Lancashire had its fair share of POW and Internment Camps, some in the most unlikely places. The Internment Camps were a dark part of the wa
  12. Continued from above: Aspen Colliery Aspen Colliery Cabin Surviving here are the remains of the colliery, a group of beehive coking ovens known locally as Fairy Caves, and the associated canal basin from where coal and coke were transported. It is located on the north side of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal at Blackburn Road. Coal mining at Aspen is thought to have commenced in the early 19th century and continued until the colliery closed in 1930. The upstanding remains of the colliery include two stone-built engine beds situated in the northern p
  13. Continued from above: From Taunton we now head for the Lancashire town of Oswaldtwistle. The town is situated three miles east south east of Blackburn, and adjoins Accrington and Church. It is known for having a rich industrial heritage that has been passed down through the generations. Come along with me as we see what the town has to offer: The name is said to originate from the two words, ‘Oswald’ and ‘Twistle’. The word ‘twistle’ means the place where brooks meet. Saint Oswald , the King of Northumbria from 634 until 642, is said to have given the area its title of Os
  14. Hi there folks, We start this week with a review of the last Taunton weekday meeting of season 2020. Following two back to back wet meetings it was thankfully dry for this one. After a break of eleven days the F2’s were back in action at Smeatharpe. It was Monday 28th September when they were last here and essentially that was one meeting too far for them. After a very busy spell the F2 fraternity simply ran out of steam. The plan to pair St.Day on the Sunday with here on the Monday actually proved detrimental to both meetings. If there had just been the one date in Cornwall a larger car
×
×
  • Create New...