Jump to content


Roy B

Member Since 23 Apr 2015
Offline Last Active Today, 03:24 AM

Posts I've Made

In Topic: Roy's Off Season Gallery 2018/19

Today, 12:02 AM

What a top weekend at the MWA show. A resounding success with big crowds on both days. Loads of cars from all disciplines of the sport, and a great chance to meet up and have a leisurely chat with everyone from promoters through to drivers and pals made over the years. Richard Kaleta did a first class job with the interviews on stage, and that superb showman Barry Lee, infused the weekends proceedings as only he can. Coupled with the feel good atmosphere generated makes it a must do event.

 

Next years show is a week earlier over the 8th/9th Feb weekend. 

 

Pics in the gallery.

 

Next week:

 

Some pics from the F2 World Of Shale at Stoke last August, the first ever visit to Aldershot by the V8's and Mini's and a quiet day at Las Vegas Motor Speedway.


In Topic: At the workshop with.......Lee Fairhurst.

12 February 2019 - 09:47 PM

Has he built any new cars for the Netherlands lads this winter, and is he planning any trips over to the clay tracks during 2019?


In Topic: Roy's Off Season Gallery 2018/19

09 February 2019 - 09:43 PM

This week day two of the Saloon’s WF weekend, and some pics from the Lincoln Transport Museum

 

More than fifty cars survived from the previous evening’s King’s Lynn action. Racing was split by roof grade into two from three heats.

Ryan Santry (389) won Heat 1 easily before a king-sized grid of forty cars took to the track for Heat 2. The race of the day as Tommy Barnes (26) took out Jacob Downey (218), Adam O’Dell (171) and Luke Grief (219) with some full speed unsparing and ferocious hits. Sid Madgwick (217) escaped the destruction to come home the winner.

 

Thirty-three cars for the third heat which was won by Willie Skoyles Jnr (641).

 

Thirty cars lined up on the grid for the Steve Newman Memorial Final. It got off to a dramatic start as Simon Venni (570) almost rolled it on the first lap. As the race proceeded it developed into a battle between the two former gold tops of Daniel Parker (306) and Carl Waterfield (360). Going into the last bend Waterfield was ahead and anticipated the hit from Parker, but the 306 car managed to beat him to the line. Notable in this race was Downey’s payback on Barnes (26). After a coming together which left 26 broadside across the home straight 218 circulated for another lap before ramming him.

 

An excellent weekend’s racing once again from the formula.

 

 

Lincoln Transport Museum

The museum houses a collection of over 65 vintage vehicles spanning over 80 years of road transport history. These have been acquired by the Lincoln Vintage Vehicle Society ( formed in 1959) which are based here.

 

Vehicles were initially kept at the Sobaron Barracks on Burton Road. These were built in 1857 and were first occupied by the 10th (North Lincolnshire) Regiment Of Foot in c.1875. After moving to a newer barracks the building remained empty until 1901 when it became the Lincolnshire Yeomanry headquarters. In August 1914 they were mobilised for service in Salonika. The building remained their hq until they were disbanded in 1920. It was then the turn in 1922 of the 60th Field Regiment, Royal Artillery, a Territorial Army unit to take possession. Mobilisation came in Sept 1939 with deployment to France with the British Expeditionary Force. The regiment never returned to the barracks at war’s end.

 

After the war the 49th (East Midlands ) Armoured Workshop Royal Electrical  and Mechanical Engineers used the barracks, followed by the 70th Communication Zone Workshop Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers before being vacated in 1963. At this time the first vehicles for the future museum were kept in storage.

 

In 1966 the first building was erected on the present day site. It was a former wooden NAFFI building. Three years later the current workshop and spares stores were built. In 1993 a substantial grant from the district council, plus the Society’s own funds and financial help from Beckside Construction saw the new museum erected. Whilst the building work was going on the vehicles were moved around once again into temporary homes incl. the old Robey Boiler Works in the city.

 

Robey & Co were an engineering company in Lincoln dating back to at least 1849. In the mid 1850’s they were manufacturing machinery of every description. By 1913 they were makers of steam motor wagons, tractors, ploughs and in the First World War manufactured aircraft.

 

A list of their products is phenomenal:

 

Threshing machines

Portable engines

Traction engines

Road steam vehicles

Railway steam engines

Steam Rollers

Steam wagons

Steam tippers

Engines for generating electricity

Winding engines

Engines driving looms in textile mills

and even parts for the Jodrell Bank radio telescope.

 

In the later years production was mainly large numbers of oil, gas or solid fuel boilers.

 

Sadly closure came in 1988. Another one of our great engineering company’s (which proudly stated, “Made in Lincoln, England” on plates attached to their products) lost forever. It is truly heart-breaking what this country has lost in engineering brilliance, design and manufacture.

 

Another obsolete company that features in the museum is Charles H Roe. It was a Yorkshire coachbuilding business that was based for most of its life at Crossgates Carriage Works in Leeds. Established in 1917 they produced distinctive and heavy duty coachwork. They sold to a wide range of bus, trolleybus and coach operators. There were even a few car, railway carriage, tram and commercial vehicle bodies too.

 

The founders early career was heavily involved with railway rolling stock until he took a job with Hunslet based RET Construction who were pioneer builders of trolleybuses. Whilst there he designed a lightweight body with steel panels over a teak body frame. Customers included the Shanghai Transport Company and Ramsbottom Urban District Council.

 

C.H. Roe set up on his own in a nearby factory unit. In addition to his trolley bus bodies he built traction engine flatbed trailers, a mobile refrigerated fish shop body and stylish charabanc bodies on the Ford Model T.

 

In 1920, he purchased a former first world war shell filling factory in Crossgates, Leeds.  The first Roe double deck trolleybus bodies were built here for Birmingham Corporation. In addition to all his other products, repairs to bodies from other builders were also carried out.

 

The early 1920’s recession and various late payments from companies saw the business voluntarily wound up. Charles bought the remaining assets for £1140 and formed a second company with a much larger shareholding. Motor buses now rose to prominence and orders flooded in from municipal operators: Ramsbottom, Rotherham, Northampton, Doncaster, Leeds, Oldham, Bradford and Teeside to name a few. Chassis included Bristol, Guy, AEC and Thorneycroft.

 

One oddity that the company made was a 36 seat petrol fuelled vehicle for the Derwent Valley Light Railway. It was based on two Ford Model T chassis fitted with flanged steel tyres and coupled back to back. It was driven from one end only with the rearward facing car running in neutral gear with the engine switched off!

 

In 1935 a new patented design of double deck body saw 777 examples of this alone built by 1950. WW2 requirements had Roe building for the war effort. Mobile printing presses, kitchens, canteens, dormitories etc. These were usually semi-trailers connected to Foden and Bedford tractor units.

 

In 1947 Park Royal (what a great name ) took a controlling shareholding in the company. Four years later they were taken over by Associated Commercial Vehicles who owned AEC, Crossley and Maudsley. Although there were now three manufacturers in the same group they continued to build for their respective customers.

 

Success followed success throughout the fifties and early sixties, until along came Leyland Motors. The latter half of the decade saw sell offs to state owned companies. Charles H Roe left the company and died in 1965. 

 

Although the Roe name still existed it was amongst a conglomerate of different companies within the by now state owned British Leyland. Owing to the chronic failure of its Austin mass-production car division and subsequent cut back, the Crossgates site was closed in 1984. Roe follows Daimler, Guy, AEC, Park Royal and Bristol into oblivion.

 

Former workers and management pooled their redundancy money and returned to Crossgates under the Optare name. However the factory closed in 2011 and was demolished in 2012.

 

 

Back at the museum now, and the aims of the society are to preserve, restore and operate the vehicles.

 

Lincoln Corporation bus no 5 was the first vehicle acquired.  There are two “running days” during the year when many of the vehicles take to the road. Easter Sunday this year is the first of these, so if anyone is still in the area after Good Friday’s Skeggy it would be worth taking a look. There are plans to run “City Tour” buses from the museum around Lincoln’s historic Cathedral Quarter.

 

As well as the vehicles, there are plenty of other displays and info about road transport in the area.

 

Pics in the gallery.

 

 

Next week: 

 

The Motorsport With Attitude show from Peterborough.    

 


In Topic: Dylan Williams Maynard

07 February 2019 - 09:39 PM

Dylan, i remember one meeting at Coventry when you were inch perfect lap after lap going down the back straight with the back end virtually touching the fence. Quality  :bigthumb:   


In Topic: Short vlog this week.

03 February 2019 - 09:55 PM

Superb Nige. That is a great trophy room. Whose job is it to keep them polished?