Photo

GN Winners

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Carl H

Carl H
  • My link:#364 on occasion. Stoxnet admin.

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Before 1971 there were no GNs at all. The last race of the night was usually called the Helter Skelter, and the final winner did not start with a handicap.

When GNs were introduced, the handicap was officially "half a lap", and I seem to recall that the final winner lined up halfway between the front of the whites and the back of the superstars. At some point (anybody know when?) this was changed to a full lap handicap, with the final winner starting in directly in front of the whites.

I remember my dad telling me about the first time Stu Smith won the final after the full lap handicap came in. He loaded up and went home before the GN, after saying on the mic that he didn't think that winning from the full lap handicap could be done.

Everyone loves Stoxnet.

#22 Keith H

Keith H
  • My link:Nelson born & bred

Posted 19 April 2013 - 02:59 PM

Wow, I remember Stuart Smith doing it on a regular basis. I know rules, etc have changed but:

Sat 21st May 77         Nelson 

Sun 22nd May 77      Aycliffe

Thurs 26th May 77    Bradford

Sat 28th May 77        White City

Sun 29th May 77       Hartlepool (With a cons not heat win - all others with heat win!)

How is that for run.........................................

For Willie and Cronny supporters this was not a good time and I know not all the top names were at all the meetings as some days there were 2 meetings but that is amazing..........

And what a website - I bet soon I will be able to see which fence posts I hit for every meeting I attended! 

1977 was the year that Mr Smith totally dominated the sport and you used to go to a meeting wondering who was going to come 2nd if 391 was booked in.

Courtesy of BriscaF1Stox.co.uk Stu Smith’s record in 1977 is:-

95 meetings

70 heat wins

3 consolation wins

50 final wins   11 final 2nd places

26 G/N wins

10 heat/cons final & G/N wins

10 final wins & G/N 2nd places

Also

Stuart won heat/final & G/N at least once every year from 1971-1978 inclusive

That’s quite an impressive record.

#23 Chris53

Chris53
  • My link:F1 Fan since 1970. Stoxnet Admin

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:18 PM

Wow, I remember Stuart Smith doing it on a regular basis. I know rules, etc have changed but:

Sun 29th May 77       Hartlepool (With a cons not heat win - all others with heat win!)

Went to all of those meetings, and as each one passed, we were more and more incredulous. The sense of disappointment when the run finally came to an end the following week at Coventry was tangible - 'only' a Final win!

Superstu really was on a different planet in those days.

Enjoy it whilst you can......Stoxnet will not be here for ever.

#24 Stu 392

Stu 392
  • My link:ex-BSCDA Chairman, Clerk , 392.Steward

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:25 PM

When they first introduced the full lap handicap Stu decided that it was not worth entering the Grand national for the same prize money and points as on the bigger tracks it was not worth putting new tyres on etc to try and win. The current drivers have a lot to thank him for as that is the reason the drivers started to get double points and double prize money.

#25 Ron B

Ron B
  • My link:fan from 1974 used to 90 meets a year

Posted 19 April 2013 - 11:38 PM

Went to all of those meetings, and as each one passed, we were more and more incredulous. The sense of disappointment when the run finally came to an end the following week at Coventry was tangible - 'only' a Final win!

was at these meetings .  where every he was at thats where i tryed to go he realy was superstu feel very lucky to have been around at the time to marvel at how he did it and have chance to have gone to hundreds meetings he raced at even when  two meetings on one local other far away if he was going to far one thats where i was going place seemed come alive when he came on track half crowd use to hate him others loved him . even driving one handed at times .pity it was in days before all the video cams there are now to relive them days and for those not lucky enough to of been there to see why he was the one and only SUPERSTU 

#26 Trevor 538

Trevor 538
  • My link:Fan since 1960 / VSCA Member

Posted 20 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Please Check but I'm sure Bert Finnikin did it at Long Eaton '89 + Heat & Final the following meeting

#27 Trevor 538

Trevor 538
  • My link:Fan since 1960 / VSCA Member

Posted 20 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

While we are checking our mem. In the days of some drivers racing both F1 & F2  at Same meeting has any driver ever won both Finals

#28 Ian C

Ian C
  • My link:Fan since 1976

Posted 20 April 2013 - 08:28 AM

1978 Hartlepool semi-final meeting, remember a driver winning the F1 Semi and Final, then jumping into a F2 and winning Heat, Final and GN. One of the awesome performances I ever saw.

Who was it.........the one and only Stuart Smith!

#29 V8 132

V8 132

Roll Over King 2005

• My link:Ex V8 Driver Ex Mechanic F1 Fan since 71

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

I witnessed the 1985 Long Eaton meeting(s) where in April Stu Smith did the max and then did it again in May, and everyone was talking could he make it a hatrick at LE 3 consecutive meetings, I think Keith Barber was paying a good incentive for him to do it as well, think he failed in his heat, won the the Final and failed the GN

You gotta pace yerself Patrick..You only get a bucket an`half

#30 Les H

Les H
  • My link:Fan since 70s Steetstox Champion 1994

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:44 PM

Hey .. check out Blackburn 8th june 1978 World Qualifier ... SuperStu 391 Heat, Final and GN from 1 lap handicap, then 4th in Helter Skelter from 2 lap Handicap ... i remember that one .......

The older i get, The Faster i was...........

#31 COZ 76

COZ 76
  • My link:involved from 50s machanic in the 6os

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:57 PM

Belle Vue Boxing Day 1968, Heat Winner Wilf Blundell 75, Final Winner Wilf Blundell 75, Helter Skelter Winner Harry Holt 84 in the Wilf Blundell 75 car!

#32 Paul Dr

Paul Dr

Posted 20 April 2013 - 05:16 PM

was at these meetings .  where every he was at thats where i tryed to go he realy was superstu feel very lucky to have been around at the time to marvel at how he did it and have chance to have gone to hundreds meetings he raced at even when  two meetings on one local other far away if he was going to far one thats where i was going place seemed come alive when he came on track half crowd use to hate him others loved him . even driving one handed at times .pity it was in days before all the video cams there are now to relive them days and for those not lucky enough to of been there to see why he was the one and only SUPERSTU 

I used to feel very privalidged when attending Coventry and see 391 there even though there was usually a Rochdale 2 minutes from his yard. He would enter the track and the cheers and loads of airhorns would erupt. The boos would soon follow. Great times. Are we too sophisticated for airhorns now? The atmosphere was amazing. He would then proceed to play to the crowd and more importantly show his critics his craft on his track. Some got him to the fence but it was rare ( seem to remember Phil bicknell as one incident). He was simply in another league. Agree with post that shame there is not more of the 70's 391 videos.

Edited by Paul Dr, 20 April 2013 - 05:26 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users