Driver of the Day- Sheffield - 25/10/09

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
47 replies to this topic

#1 JaneB

JaneB

JaneyBee

• My link:a fan from as far back as i can remember

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:05 PM

although i'm a major Smiths' fan I have to give DOD to #259. excellent driving, on top form! :clap: nice change to see the Smiths' being given a run for their money :nod: good fast close racing but marred by the continual fence problems

DOD #259
RR 9

#2 paul515

paul515

Paul S

• My link:fan

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:24 PM

top weekend for 259, guess the forms coming back but just too late. and all credit for the lap on foot. must say that he at least has a go, some of the other shootout drivers seem to be a bit more picky who they hit and who they dont.
must say well done to ssj, doing what hes gotta do to get the silver roof and all credit to him for it, as for fwj guess the red paint on order (and i'm a fan) i dunno he just seems to play with them whereas ssj puts him in the fence.
racing was good, final low on cars but some of that just the nature of sheffield, what would concern me though was the crowd numbers its already been stated it cold be banger only next year, would the still have the semi, and todays crowd looked small, possibly more at scunny the night before.

dod 259
rr 7

#3 CHUGGA

CHUGGA
  • My link:Odsal Regular and Team Wainman fan

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:50 PM

DOD=259. Always one i look out for.
RR= 8.

You dont call that a BROOOOOOOOOZE!

Stockcar Workshop Facebook.

#4 SEM

SEM
  • My link:Fan since 71

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:01 PM

DotD - 390
RR - 6/10. Would have given a higher score for purely the racing, but any momentum of the meeting was lost by the continual stoppages for fence / cars stuck in it in both formulas.

Edited by SEM, 25 October 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#5 Dave N

Dave N

Dave N

• My link:Fan since71 mech for ex 142/176Casserley

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:05 PM

top weekend for 259, guess the forms coming back but just too late. and all credit for the lap on foot. must say that he at least has a go, some of the other shootout drivers seem to be a bit more picky who they hit and who they dont.
must say well done to ssj, doing what hes gotta do to get the silver roof and all credit to him for it, as for fwj guess the red paint on order (and i'm a fan) i dunno he just seems to play with them whereas ssj puts him in the fence.
racing was good, final low on cars but some of that just the nature of sheffield, what would concern me though was the crowd numbers its already been stated it cold be banger only next year, would the still have the semi, and todays crowd looked small, possibly more at scunny the night before.

dod 259
rr 7

You say above that 515 seems to be playing ,I dont think 288,55,and I think it was 220 ,three drivers 515 took to the fence and MADE sure they were not coming back out .

#6 Kruiz

Kruiz
  • My link:Son of ex-F1 136 Dave Taylor

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:21 PM

Dotd: 259
The racing was mostly very engaging, however I feel the promotion let the meeting down once again. Poor organisation with the pits becoming blocked up and queueing out the pit gate onto the track whilsty cars were waiting to go back in after a race which held things up.

F2s left on the infield after the final and not taken back into the pits until after the F1 GN, ok might have saved a few minutes on the overall running time of the meeting but this can be saved in slicker organisation rather than leaving cars out on track, I wouldn't have been happy if I was a driver of one of those cars left out.

When 391 was stuck under 55 in the fence, only one tractor went to the scene, although it was clear 55 would need to be lifted up not 391 just dragged out, then officials had to call tractor drivers that were sitting on top of the tractor seemingly looking the wrong way. This takes more time up, two tractors should have been straight there, theres no loss if one isn't needed in the end but it saves time.

337 was stuck sideways on the back straight in the worst possible position, with a clearly broken car. Too much time passed before yellow flags were brought out, it would have only taken one car to hit Dave in the side at full racing speed to result in a very nasty injury.

10 races in 5 hours really isn't good going and add to the that the presenattion is way behind that of many others, such as on track interviews with drivers and clear and consistent commentry without such as Richard Kaleta can deliver in a class of his own every time. Somebody really needs to be employed similar to Richards talent and competence, to make the meeting more of an event or a show. If I was a newcomer I'd honestly have no idea what was going on and most the time I had to work it out as it went along.

On that basis, I'm not surprised Sheffield suffers for spectators, its just not as engaging as other venues, and this can be achieved by one good 'presenter'.

R/R 6

Should have been much higher with better presenation and organisation, but could have been much lower if the frequent battles amongst drivers hadn't been so good.
F2 Driver #136

#7 bm7921

bm7921
  • My link:EX DRIVER 509 NOW MECHANIC IN TEAM #45

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

must agree with some points about presentation.

rr 8/10

dotd 390

Edited by bm7921, 25 October 2009 - 10:30 PM.

My comments are my own and do not represent the opinions of the driver I mechanic for or anyone else attached to the team.

#8 RickA

RickA
  • My link:Fan since 1970 (at Cadwell aged 4!)

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

DOTD 259

At last my fave racer Paul Hines wins a race in my presence! I have always been a big fan of Paul since i started getting back into F1 a few years back. He seems a top bloke, a real ambassador for the sport, and like someone else said he always has a go. Good to see him get truly stuck in today. Wouldn't accept Andy Smith passing him in his first heat and got him back for second place.

RR 8/10

I am rating the actual racing which was all good stuff. I see little point in putting race times in the program, when there's a fence just waiting to be bent on a regular basis. Surely they have trouble to keep to times every meeting. It's a vicious circle at Sheff in my opinion. The wire fence creates a great tension for the fans while the race is on, but at the same time causes loads of delays. Not worth moaning about though. The stadium itself is great. I've only been once before about 10 years ago, but will be coming back. Viewing is excellent, as are the bars and the toilets are clean. All the tracks have their plusses and minuses. My local track Skeg provides great racing but pretty dire toilets! But we all keep going!

Edited by RickA, 25 October 2009 - 10:48 PM.

#9 Tony107

Tony107

TONY107

• My link:lee,s dad

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:51 PM

dotd 259......r/r 8/10

#10 John Stereohead

John Stereohead
  • My link:LONG TERM FAN + MECHANIC

Posted 25 October 2009 - 10:52 PM

racing was good and fast today and the track was in fair condition but as stated before the constant stopages due to the fence marred things ,, i think sheffield would be a fantastic venue if it had some sort of armco like scunny , or kings lynn ,, after all it has good facillities at sheffield. and the racing just looked so much better under floodlights!! :o

dod im split between 390 and 259 who really has found some form this weekend and the way he got past 1 andy smith in one of his heats was great to see ,, his pace all meeting was good and it was nice to see him run a lap of honour in the heat he won ,, 390 did what he had to do today but nearly came unstuck trying a last bender on his brother in the final but he seems to have all the luck lately so fair play to him , and i think for his determination over the last few meetings he deserves the silver roof ,,
also think 13 andy ford , 335 mark woodhall and 21 mark gilbank deserve mentions as they all went well ,,

259 paul hines

R/R 7/10

#11 graham

graham
  • My link:Fan since 1969, ex F1 mechanic

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:33 PM

DoD 259, drove very well all meeting, would probably have won the final but for the yellow flag.
R/R 7

#12 Stoxpics

Stoxpics

Stoxpics

• My link:Oval Racing Fan

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:42 PM

DOD 259 without a doubt, I agree with the comments made about SSJ and FWJ, but not with the shoot out, it's turning a season long series in to a 10 round one and it's not (for me) the way to go. I assume the silver stripes will be decided by who has the biggest front bumber at Belle Vue and the one in the fence will loose, a great way to end a series but not the silver stripes, they have a long history and I feel this year the stripes will not have been earned in the way they should be.

R/R It's almost impossible to give a rating as nothing went more than 8 laps before a car hit the fence, the race was stopped and the fence crew were on to repair the damage, only the F2 Final wasn't yellowed because of the fence, I watched Danny Wainiman hit the fence in the GN and 2 posts moved.

The F2 GN didn't run, the Finals only had 20 odd cars in each, the F1 final had low grades at the back, cars were left on the racing line till they were hit (thankfully not the 377 car in the middle of the back straight side on) before waved yellows came in, the pits were blocked and the F2 final was held up by more fence repairs (which for my money should be mentioned in the meeting timetable as it needs repairs after almost every race). and with just 2 formula 5 hours is pushing it a little.

I hoped today would be a good build up to the end of the season, it failed to deliver on many levels, some of them are part of racing and acceptable, some were just poor organisation. I had decided mid season to do a few meetings less next year and sadly today Sheffield made that decision a little easier.

R/R 4 would have been higher if more than 1 race hadn't been brought to a complete stop. Sorry Sheffield it was a very poor effort.

#13 martin

martin

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:58 PM

DOD : 13

R/R :8

Edited by martin, 26 October 2009 - 12:50 AM.

#14 LeeM

LeeM
  • My link:515 + 302 Supporter

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:01 AM

Goood meeting, but not quite as good as Scunny last night, but was still some good racing 2day.

R/R - 7

DoD - 259 what a weekend for Mr Hindes, drove like a trooper all weekend, shows what a true sport he is, Running round with the trophy and flag after his heat win. :lol: :thumbsup:

#15 dean108

dean108
  • My link:141 sponser.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:32 AM

DOD 259 for having a pair, R.R 6/10 too much stopping and starting due to naff fence. special mentions to 335,35,446, for making it harder to get past when theres flashing lights in the mirror than some stars, :think: and top marks to 390 for showing you simply dont get any championship handed on a plate and racing alone cant win without brute force and skill sometimes to get what you want, think the meeting lacked mal brown and gibbo to make it harder work of what looked a super shaleway today. :thumbsup:
ps, aint that 650 f2 fan club noisey.. :lol: :)
F1 FAN SINCE 1978.

#16 F2 Fan

F2 Fan

www.362racing.com

• My link:F2 Ben Fund Treasurer, Sister of F2 362

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:41 AM

DOD 259
RR 8
362racing.com updated 6 March 2012

#17 Stephen Waz

Stephen Waz

waz

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

My first visit to Sheffield in quite a while, I went with no expectations and without taking any interest in available Driver Booking lists.

An enjoyable Sunday. F1's Numbering the thirty+. Fantastic October weather - a few light showers ain't nothing to worry about. Some good fast F1 racing. And only two formula on the bill.

No complaints about the fence - What do you expect it to do when modern engineered Stockcars hit it not sheds of yesteryear?
But complaints on the ineffective use of the down time this produced - A perfect opportunity to regrade the track, drag some of the shale that builds up on the outside back onto the track.

Losing cars is part and parcel of Sheffield meetings, just a pity only Eighteen made it out for the Final. But it was under lights :thumbsup:

DOTD - 259 If you were there you know why :lol:

R/R - 6/10 - Fast - Scary even, but oh-so one-line.
I've got my very own Troll, have you got one following you?

#18 Carl H

Carl H
  • My link:#364 on occasion. Stoxnet admin.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 09:46 AM

It was a long day and rather drawn out. I suppose it's been that long since the fence got such a pounding that the fence crew have forgotten how to mend it, but it did seem to take an age to fix it. The pit lane seemed to suffer from total gridlock after most races (why not let the waiting cars out onto the track before the tractors try taking dead cars back to the pits?)

The presentation was also somewhat lacking. The nature of Sheffield means that races aren't going to be turned around as quickly as at other tracks, and there needs to be someone/something to help pass the time, the way that Richard Kaleta does it.

Having all the tractors spread out on the infield doesn't really do much for the view. I'm sure all of them don't need to be on the infield when the racing is on. Either put most of them in the pits, or if that's not practical, at least bunch them all together in the middle to minimise the obstruction.

But having said all that.... I thought this was just sensational! Sheffield back to it's very best. Racing under floodlights certainly adds a lot to the experience, as does having a load of top drivers battling it out every race. :think: The F2s were also excellent, so no complaints at all from me about the on-track action, which is what I paid my money for, and what I base my rating on.

Lots of good drives today, but the stand-out performance for me was Paul Hines. I was so impressed after his first heat that I went and shook his hand afterwards. (And it was only partly to make sure that it really had been him driving! :lol:) Apparently, he's been ill recently, but whatever medicine he's been taking, he needs to keep taking it! Or maybe it was the new member of his pit crew that inspired him? :)

DOTD: 259
RR: 8

Mechanic Of The Day: Lee Robinson
Chip Butty Rating: 9 (From the Snack Bar on the home straight, the only chip butty vendor at Sheffield to have the Carl H seal of approval. :thumbsup: )
Everyone loves Stoxnet.

#19 stox259

stox259
  • My link:Driver

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:24 AM

Mechanic Of The Day: Lee Robinson

lol Lee was brilliant at Sheffield. Just glad no one noticed it was him driving. lol

Great weekend for me. Thanks to me team for sticking by me. I would have propbably given up being a mechanic for me after my recent performances but fair play to Graham, Neil and my dad for carrying on regardless

#20 Stu H

Stu H
  • My link:Fan since 1978.

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:34 AM

DOTD: 390
RR: 9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users